Thursday, August 13, 2009

First Blog! Details on Africa Trip

Hey Everyone! This is the first Blogging experience of my life!! It's exhilerating..... ok, the thrill's gone. As a new blogger I will lay down some guidelines which I'll abide by so that this won't be a boring experience for you:

1) Blogs will be informal, honest and daring but always tasteful.
2) This blog is too cool to be locked down by such rulez az GrahMar oR Spheling
3) I will only post interesting Intel, thoughts, updates, testimonies, prayer requests and always try to attach pictures and videos (starting with my next blog)

Enough of the legal jargon.... let's Blog!

So dear readers some of you may know and the other half this will be news of a tragic sort but I'm leaving for Africa! I feel the Lord has called me to Southern Senegal, Africa. I'll be in an agricultural zone (AKA "the Bush") with a tribe known as the 'Basari'. I'll have some more specific names of villages and towns soon enough but your first homework assignment will be to google map Kédougou, Kedougou, Senegal. This is a town three hours drive from the village I'll be staying in.
In Kédougou there are many more amenities such as a gas station, internet cafe and a food market which I'll have access to once every 2 weeks or so. This will be a haven I'm sure in comparison to the mud-hut village I'll be living in.

It's neat how God works because He's provided a missionary compound there where Jim and other Pastor teachers will come and record messages into the Basari language. I should mention Senegal is a french colony ans the majority of men speak it, not so much with the women. The device we'll be sending out the recordings on is called 'The Slayer' and has been called by Charles Stanley "The messenger" (You choose your preference or maybe even make up your own name for it, we have freedom in Christ like that)
Anyways there are still many masonry and carpentry projects to complete in the compound so I'll be spending time there helping out completing the work.

The Mission: To replace their current pastor Augustine while he goes to bible college for 7 months. Let's pray for him while he's there. I'll be teaching and serving people in their walk with the Lord.


I feel a deep peace about heading out on this sure-to-be adventure. I am definitely excited to see what God is going to do in the community as well as in my heart. The Lord gave me a scripture verse...

Psalm 37:3 "Trust in the Lord, and do good; Dwell in the land and feed on His faithfulness"

This verse really jumped out at me as I was seeking final confirmation from the Lord. Such beautiful wording to "feed on His faithfulness".

Prayer requests: Let's just start crying out for God's people in this land, Augastine would have peace in his heart as he prepares to leave, pray for wisdom and strength for the shepherds of the Lord's sheep there in Senegal. Pray for all the resources needed for the ministry.

My TO DO LIST:
-I'm going to try and make a video about what God's doing there kinda like Acts 4:20 "For we cannot help speaking about what we have seen and heard".
-Also I will be getting some shots for yellow fever and tetanus.